Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Fricassee

Well, despite some "technical difficulties" (??) we've accomplished another crit round, albeit a sparse one.

I'm not sure why I didn't find the un-superscripted version of Karen's submission in my inbox, for instance. It's 99% probable that the fault is at my end, though I'm still scratching my head.

So I'm going to have to get a major clue for next time. Because, oh. Oh, oh, OH! Is our next round going to be SUPER FUN or what.

I'll be announcing the details on Monday!

In the meantime, an extra big "thank you" to all participants. And Karen, I don't know how I missed your second submission. Part of the problem is that gmail's format really confuses me. (I know, I know, I'm easily confused.) You know how the emails kind of link up to each other like a big bulletin board conversation? Well, that whole thing blows my mind. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it.

So. Talk to me in this week's Fricassee comment box about your MCs. It's been said that many writers inadvertently write themselves into their MCs. I know that's been true for me. What about you? Do you find that your MC exhibits your dark side? Your light side? Your idiosyncrasies? Your strengths? Or nothing even remotely close to your own personality?

What you do you feel makes an MC truly likable? Or at least truly empathizable? (Yes, I'm coining my own words this afternoon.)

Do tell! Because, in the end, no one really wants to read a story about someone they couldn't care less about. Right?

Big hugs to you all...and be sure to stop by Monday for the Exciting Details!

3 comments:

  1. It all depends on the MC. The more I write the less my main characters look and sound like me. My first few stories all had me as the MC, but I had a different name and a space ship. The more I create and practice the more my characters become themselves rather than mini-me's.

    Although, to be fair, I do use some of my characters to vent and explore situations... I'm fascinated by broken bodies and the emotional conflict of abuse or physical damage to a person. Three major characters are cyborgs who are dealing with it each in their own ways (and all in different series). One becomes a murdering lunatic, another becomes obsessivly over-protective of other people, and the third gets on with life with occassional bouts of depression and massive amounts of confusion because he doesn't view himself as human anymore but some of the ladies in his life do.

    Last November for NaNo I was cruel enough to inflict motherhood on a character. That was fun. My own children provided endless inspiration. And I found that it made my life easier; when my children made a horrible mess I just smiled grimly and thought, "Just wait until I do this to Fleur!" My character suffered with me, and I loved that.

    Other than her though my goal is to get a character who is their own person. I love reading books where the characters are real enough that you know their likes and dislikes without having it listed. Terry Pratchett, who writes fantasy, has a fantastic librarian character and I remember one time reading a comic and thinking, "The librarian would like this!" Of course the Librarian isn't a real person ( or arthropod) and couldn't possibly read the comic and never has read a comic in the series. But the character is written well enough that a reader can intuit some details. I want to write like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great comment! You've really given this some thought. Thanks for this!

    And you know, there's something to be said for getting to the point where your MCs are more than just "mini-me's." That sounds like a writer's maturing.

    I love when MCs are as real as the librarian you've described. That's masterful writing, don't you think?

    Your post has made me want to sit down and dig into some character development. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MCs are never anything like me. The one in my very first book maybe, but I can't see a shred of my self in any of the others.

    Authoress, no worries about the missing sub. It happens. No big deal and I can always use it another time.

    ReplyDelete